Follow us on Twitter @IslingtonBC and @IslingtonLife
Tel: 020 7527 2307
Out of Hours: 07769 163303
Notes to editors
The council is committed to improving air quality and is keen to work with the Mayor, TfL and other London Boroughs to make these improvements as soon as possible.
Islington Council has a range of initiatives to tackle air pollution, including:
- a diesel surcharge on residents parking permits;
- our leadership on the creation of AirText to alert residents on pollution;
- an educational and enforcement programme to tackle engine idling;
- implementing the first borough-wide 20mph speed limit, enforced by police;
- introducing more electric vehicle charging points, with plans for more than 100 more roadside points over the next 12 months;
- working with Hackney and Tower Hamlets councils on the award-winning Zero Emissions Network, helping businesses to tackle emissions;
- campaigning for all buses from the Holloway bus garage and all TfL buses running in Islington to be the cleanest possible;
- commissioning alternative fuel research on large vehicles, including refuse trucks, to improve the council fleet;
- improving infrastructure to make cycling and walking more accessible.