Artist Niki Gibbs has worked with Holloway Fire Station on Hornsey Road to curate the collection - named Mobilise! Mobilise! - which went on display at Islington Museum on 1 February.
The exhibition shines a light on the emergency service workers’ lives, and captures four crews going about their jobs as they help to keep the people of the borough safe.
Although much is seen and heard about the front-line work that is done by firefighters, little is known about other aspects of their jobs, such as their training, the maintenance of their kit and their outreach work.
Drawing inspiration from photographs, Niki’s work offers an up close and personal view of Holloway’s firefighters, including them relaxing around the station as they wait in anticipation for a sudden emergency call out.
Speaking about the exhibition, Niki said: “It was a privilege to work with the Holloway firefighters on Hornsey Road and get a small glimpse into their lives behind the scenes, and an honour to be able to share these insights with a wider audience.”
Cllr Asima Shaikh, executive member for inclusive economy and jobs at Islington Council, said: “We are extremely grateful for the brave and tireless work of our firefighters, who play a vital role in keeping our community safe.
“This excellent exhibition provides a rare opportunity for visitors to see into the daily working lives of our emergency service personnel, and get an insight into some of the work that is so often unseen.
“It is important that we view those that keep our borough safe as real people too, and the opportunities to meet the firefighters featured in the exhibition will no doubt help to reinforce this.”
The exhibition is available for all to see at the museum until 31 March.
As well as the collection of thought-provoking images, there are also a series of free events taking place to mark the exhibition, including:
- An in-depth discussion at the museum with Niki and a local firefighter on 3 March at 6-7.30pm. Booking for this event, named “Beyond the Fires”, is available at eventbrite.co.uk
- A walk with an Islington Guide to explore the rich legacy of firefighting, starting at Farringdon Station and ending at the museum, on 7 & 21 March at 11am-12.30pm. Booking can be done via islingtonguidedwalks.com
- A sensory adventure with storyteller Dani for Under 5s, at the museum on 13 March at 10-10.45am
- A visit from local firefighters to the Finsbury Library for Under 5s on 17 March at 11-11.45am
- A chance to meet some of the firefighters featured in the exhibition, as well as London’s newest fire cadets, at the museum on 21 March at 2-4pm
- An Under 5’s messy play event at the museum on 26 March at 10-11.30am