We welcome news of the sale of the prison site, which has been sitting empty for some time.
We look forward to working collaboratively with the new owners to ensure the best possible outcomes for the community, including the delivery of desperately needed, genuinely affordable homes and vital social infrastructure, such as a women’s centre.
Notes to Editors:
- The council has produced substantial planning guidance for the Holloway prison site. In January 2018 the council adopted a planning document setting out clear parameters as to what will be expected to be delivered on the site:
- A minimum of 50% genuinely affordable housing;
- A mix of housing types including a significant proportion of family accommodation;
- Social infrastructure such as a women’s centre providing vital rehabilitation and support functions to vulnerable women; and
- High quality, publicly accessible green space, including play space.
This was the first time a local authority has produced its own site capacity assessment and development viability study, in tandem with a Supplementary Planning Document (SPD). The document received substantial community support.